Saturday, November 21, 2009

Cyclocross !!

What is cyclocross and where did it come from? Allow me just copy and paste some content from Wikipedia-
"There are many stories about the origins of cyclo-cross. One is that European road racers in the early 1900s would race each other to the next town over from them and that they were allowed to cut through farmer's fields, over fences or take any other shortcuts in order to make it to the next town first. This was sometimes called steeple chase as the only visible landmark in the next town was often the steeple. This was a way for them to stay in shape during the winter months and put a twist on road racing. In addition, riding off road in more difficult conditions than smooth pavement increased the intensity at which the cyclists were riding and improved their on-the-road bike handling abilities. Forced running sections, or portage, were incorporated to help deliver warm blood to the feet and toes, as well as exercise other groups of muscles. Daniel Gousseau of France is credited as having inspired the first cyclo-cross races and organizing the first French National Championship in 1902. Géo Lefèvre, the originator of the idea for the Tour de France, also played a key role in the early days of the sport."
Basically we race on dirt, grass, sand, mud whatever in 2 miles laps for about 60 minutes. We race on bikes that are pretty much road bile with slighty fatter tires and different brakes. The races also involve obstacles that we have to get off our bikes and jump over, or super steep hills or steps to carry your bike up. It is also synonmous with mud, sand, and rain. Pictures from epic races have the riders covered in mud with only the whites of their eyes visible. It's pretty much awesome!


So I was growing restless not racing something and I've always wanted to try cyclocross. Unfortunatley my car broke down a month ago and it took away all of my cyclocross bike money. I sat depressed in my house for a month and then realized with some slight modification my fixie commuter bike could be converted into a single speed cyclocross machine. I flipped the hub to the freewheel side, because keeping it fixed would not be a good idea. I am currently running a 46t X 18t combo until my 42t chainring comes in. I put some knobby tires on it which fit my frame because I run 700c wheels on a frame designed for 27" wheels. I also installed some brakes, which also seemed like the safe thing to do. So my spray painted black steel steed was now ready to race.

Last weekend I raced out in Folsom. The practice laps went great. I got to practice my dismounts and mounts. I was wishing I had the 42t chainring but it was managable in the tougher gearing and only made me faster if I could keep it up. Also I didn't have my rear brake yet. At the start line I throw down a little too hard and my chain popped off, I put it back on, and because I was upset I threw another 1000watt pedal stroke and popped my chain off again. So I'm 30 ft. from the start and I'm already 4 minutes back. I pushed hard and pulled back half the field and took 6th. I think I could've been in the top 3 if not for my chain mishap. All in all an awesome time!!

This Sunday there is a race in Sacramento in Discovery Park, just across the river from downtown. So if you find yourself enjoying a day at the park watching one of the most popular spectator sports in Europe come on down. races start at 9:30, but Keith will be racing with the badasses at 11am and I'll be racing the singlespeed class at 2pm. You can find more info at http://www.sacramentocx.com/!


No comments:

Post a Comment